Aidpage is a
support network.
Ask for help
Offer help
Sign up now
Talking about:
21 posts
1,450 visits

medical assistance for low income

What's your take? (click here)

Canadian Medical Equipment Funding Sources

The Easter Seal Society

Financial Assistance Program - dedicated to helping children, youth and young adults with physical disabilities achieve their full individual potential and future independence. Easter Seals funds disability solutions through financial assistance, summer camp, the Recreational Choices funding program, research, advocacy, and public and consumer education. Telephone: 416-421-8377 or 800-668-6525

The MS Society

The MS Society offers two types of funding; equipment purchase and permanent loan as well as special assistance programs. Please note that funding programs vary from province-to-province. The most common service provided by most divisions and chapters is assistance with equipment to help people with MS maximize their quality of life. Divisions and chapters manage this service in various ways:

  • Information and advocacy to assist people in understanding the resources available to them through their own benefits programs and the provincial health system, etc.
  • Full or partial purchase of equipment or permanent loan

Muscular Dystrophy Association of Canada

The MDA provides basic medical equipment, on loan, from a stock of recycled devices such as scooters, manual and electric wheelchairs, and hospital beds. Some funding assistance may be available for the purchase of new equipment.

Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program (RRAP)

The RRAP Program offered through the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC). The program offers financial assistance to homeowners and landlords to undertake accessibility work to modify dwellings occupied or intended for occupancy for low income persons with disabilities.

Sudbury Tax Services Office

Revenue Canada provides information on tax deductibles, related to medical expenses.

Special Services At Home Program (SSAH)

The SSAH assists children with developmental disabilities (ages 0-99) and physical disabilities (ages 0-18) who are living at home with their families. The disability must be documented by a professional such as a physician, audiologist, or psychologist. The program provides funding that can be used toward individual development activities and respite/relief care. The family may contact this organization directly for an application, at

Automotive Manufacturer's Mobility Programs

Ford Mobility Program

Open to all Canadians buying a new Ford Vehicle, Ford will grant up to $1,000.00 towards installation of  lifts, hand controls and other equipment. Application is made through the dealership where purchased an must be made within 6 months of purchasing a new vehicle. For more information click here.

GM Mobility Program

Also open to all Canadians, the GM Program will grant $1,000.00 towards the purchase of modifications to a new vehicle, but you have to call their mobility assitance program to find out if you qualify at 1-800-GM-DRIVE. Their web site lists several steps you should follow when purchasing adaptive equipment but I'm  not sure if these steps are recommendations or requirements. Best to call and get the details. For more information click here.

Chrysler Automobility Program

When the customer buys or leases any new Chrysler Corporation vehicle, Chrysler Corporation will provide cash reimbursement, up to $1000, to help cover the cost of installing adaptive driver or passenger equipment on the vehicle. I haven't been able to find any reference to this program on their Canadian web site so for more information, contact the Chrysler Automobility Program toll free at 1-800-265-6908 or 313-961-9448 or contact your local dealer.

Volkswagen Mobility Access Program

Volkswagen will refund $1000 on the purchase or lease of a new Volkswagen vehicle if vehicle access equipment is installed.  Although this program has been available for years I haven't been able to find any reference to it in Canada on their web site or a telephone number. I'm assuming the program is still active but for more information you should contact your local Volkswagen Dealer.

Saturn Mobility Program

Customers will be reimbursed by the Saturn Mobility Program for the cost of after-market driver of passenger adaptive aids, including installation, or reinstallation, in an amount up to a maximum of $1000 when such equipment is installed on an eligible Saturn vehicle. For more information, contact the Saturn Mobility Program, toll free at 1-800-553-6000.

Toyota Mobility Program

To help cover the costs of installing adaptive driving aids or mobility assistance equipment, the Toyota Mobility Program offers up to a $1,000 allowance to physically-challenged customers who acquire a new Toyota vehicle. Adaptive driving or passenger equipment includes, but is not limited to, wheelchair or other lift equipment, hand or other driving controls, and lifts or cart storage. Upon verification of the claim, a cheque will be mailed directly to the customer. For more information click here.

Honda, Acura and Lexus

All have mobility programs in the U.S. but I can't find any information on similar programs in Canada. I would certainly ask your local dealer if they have a program for Canadians.

The War Amps of Canada

National Headquarters (Ottawa)

2827 Riverside Drive

Ottawa, ON K1V 0C4

Telephone: 1 (800) 465-2677

Fax: (613) 731-3234


Web site:

Adult Prosthetics Program

Telephone: 1 (877) 622-2472

Fax: (613) 731-3234


CHAMP Program (Ottawa)

Telephone: 1 (800) 267-4023

Fax: 1 (866) 235-0350


CHAMP Program (Montréal)

Les Amputés de guerre


503 – 606 Cathcart Street

Montréal, QC H3B 1K9

Telephone: 1 (800) 265-0494

Fax: 1 (877) 600-6212


The War Amps assist, protect and bind together Canadian war, civilian and child amputees through financial assistance with artificial limbs and rehabilitation, counseling, emotional support, regional seminars and information on latest prosthetic developments.

The Adult Prosthetics Program offers assistance to amputees in Canada who register with The War Amps as adults. The program offers financial assistance towards the purchase of artificial limbs. As a charitable organization, it is important that those needing assistance also access other funding sources available to them. Adult amputees have specific issues to deal with in their adjustment to life as an amputee. To assist amputees, the National Amputee Centre has a wealth of information on artificial limbs and all areas concerning amputation. Some of this information can be found on their web site.

Child Amputee – up to 18 years of age(CHAMP) Program

Children missing a limb or limbs at birth, from medical causes or due to an accident may enroll in CHAMP. The program offers financial assistance for artificial limbs and related expenses and provides financial assistance for specially designed recreational limbs and adaptive devices.


Assists “Super Champs” (multiple amputee youngsters) with computers and computer training as an educational aid now to ensure their employment opportunities in the future. Contact the CHAMP Program for more information.

National Amputee Centre

Educates amputees and family members about all aspects of amputation, including the latest information on artificial limbs and products, through a comprehensive library of information and the War Amps web ( site selection. Contact the National Amputee Centre at 1 (877) NAC-CIPA [1 (877) 622-2472] or via E-mail at for more information.

Wish Foundations

Various groups who offer to grant the wishes of children with severe disabilities or terminal illness. Please see each foundation for additional information.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

South Dakota Well-Child Care Program

South Dakota's Well-Child Care Program

South Dakota’s Well-Child Care Program helps promote the health and well-being of children and youth on Medicaid/Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). The program provides preventative care and covers general health services which are made available to families once they are eligible for Medicaid.

Services covered include:

  • Health services and treatment of illnesses
  • Vision, hearing and dental services
  • Developmental and nutritional status
  • Lead testing
  • Non-emergency medical transportation services
  • Immunizations
  • Prescription drugs
  • Mental health services

These services are provided to children and youth under age 21 who participate in Medicaid/CHIP.

What do I need to do first?
You can start with a simple check-up. Your child’s Primary Care Provider (PCP) can keep tabs on your child’s health and detect possible concerns before they happen.

These check-ups include an examination and evaluation of your child’s general physical and mental health, growth, development and nutritional status, vision, hearing and dental health status. Whether your child is an infant or teen, regular medical check-ups are necessary.

What do I do next?
When it comes to your child’s healthcare, do not wait for something to happen. If your child is eligible for Medicaid/CHIP, schedule a well-child care check-up today. When your child goes to the check-up, you must bring his or her immunization records and current Medical BenefitsMedical Benefits ID card, as shown here.

In addition, immunizations, physical and developmental screenings along with health education services may be available through your local
community health nurse.

When should I make an appointment for my child?
If you are not sure when to make an appointment for your child, take a look at the suggested check-up and immunization schedule found or click here to learn more.

If my child is not sick, should I still make an appointment?
Regular check-ups help prevent illnesses and it is an easy way to keep up-to-date on your child’s immunizations so still keep and schedule appointments for your child.

What about my child’s immunizations and what do I need to know about blood lead testing?
If there is one thing you can do to keep your child healthy, it’s making sure your child’s immunizations are current and receives them on time.

Children should also be tested for lead in their blood at ages 12 and 24 months. If your child is younger than six and has never been tested, talk with your PCP, as more frequent testing may be advised.

What if my child has special health needs?
If your child has a chronic health condition, Children’s Special Health Services may be able to help.

  • Call 1-800-738-2301 for more information.

What do I do when I cannot find a dentist who will accept Medicaid?
If you have trouble finding a dentist who accepts Medicaid, please call Delta Dental at 1-800-627-3961 for further assistance in finding a dentist to help you and your child.

How do I get reimbursed for travel?
You can be reimbursed for non-emergency medical transportation for things like mileage, lodging and meals. Transportation must be to the closest medical facility or medical provider capable of providing the necessary services. The service must be a Medicaid covered service provided by a medical provider who is enrolled in the South Dakota Medical Assistance Program.

You will not be reimbursed for travel within your city limits and you will not be reimbursed for medical trips to see your PCP.

Are you a parent who smokes or chews tobacco around your child and would like to quit, but not sure how?
While you work to keep your child healthy, you need to stay healthy too and the SD QuitLine can help.

The assistance is completely FREE and you will have access to:

  • professional advice,
  • quitting tobacco materials,
  • nicotine withdrawal medication and
  • referral to local cessation services, if requested.

When you call, your "quit coach" will help you create a personal plan to help you stop and schedule coaching sessions.

  • Call 1-866-SD-QUITS to quit today!

Helpful reminders to keep your child healthy:

  • A child should have a vision check-up by the age of five and every year after that.
  • At the age of one, a child should go in for his/her first dental screening.
  • All children eligible for Medicaid should receive a lead test at 12 and 24 months of age.
  • Doctors can help decide if a lead test is needed and can also recommend treatment if a child has been exposed.
  • If you think your child is having trouble hearing, contact your child’s doctor to see if a hearing test is needed.
  • After the age of three, it is recommended that a child have a regular check-up with his/her doctor every year until age 21.
  • Non-emergency medical transportation services are available to children and youth when traveling to medical appointments if they are on Medicaid/CHIP.
  • Plan ahead. Get your child in for a check-up today. Regular doctor visits are the key to a healthy child.
  • Call 1-800-597-1603 to learn more about well-child care.

Important Numbers to Remember:

  • Medicaid Recipient Number:
  • Delta Dental Number:
  • SD Quits Number:
    1-866-SD QUITS
  • Children with Special Needs:
  • Transportation Services:
  • Children’s Health Insurance Program:

Additional Information:

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

New York Medicaid Information And Instructions For Applying

What is Medicaid?

Medicaid is a program for New Yorkers who can't afford to pay for medical care.

How do I know if I qualify for Medicaid?

You may be covered by Medicaid if:

  • You have high medical bills.
  • You receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
  • You meet certain financial requirements.

How do I apply for Medicaid?

You can apply for Medicaid in any one of the following ways: Write, phone, or go to your local department of social services. You can also mail in an application to your local department of social services, or apply with the help of an enrollment facilitator.

In New York City, contact the Human Resources Administration by calling (718) 557-1399. Residents of the five boroughs of New York City may call toll free at 1-877-472-8411.

Residents of New York City can mail applications to the Human Resources Administration at:

Initial Eligibility Unit
HRA/Medical Assistance Program
P.O. Box 2798
New York, NY 10117-2273

Pregnant women and children can apply at many clinics and hospitals. Call your local department of social services to find out where you can apply.

If you are in a facility operated by the New York State Office of Mental Health, contact the Patient Resource Office.

If you are in a facility certified by the New York State Office for People With Developmental Disabilities, contact the Revenue Support Office.

What do I need to apply for Medicaid?

  • Proof of age, like a birth certificate
  • Proof of citizenship or alien status*
  • Recent paycheck stubs (if you are working)
  • Proof of your income from sources like Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Veteran's Benefits (VA), retirement
  • If you or anyone who lives with you is 65 years old or older, certified blind, or certified disabled, you need to give information on bank accounts, insurance policies and other resources
  • Proof of where you live, like a rent receipt, landlord statement, mortgage statement, or envelope from mail you received recently
  • Insurance benefit card or the policy (if you have any other health insurance)
  • Medicare Benefit Card (the red, white and blue card)

*NOTE: Medicaid coverage is available, regardless of alien status, if you are pregnant or require treatment for an emergency medical condition. A doctor must certify that you are pregnant or had an emergency, and you must meet all other eligibility requirements.

If I think I am eligible for Medicaid, should I cancel any other health insurance I might already have?

No. If you currently pay for health insurance or Medicare coverage or have the option of getting that coverage, but cannot afford the payment, Medicaid can pay the premiums under certain circumstances.

Even if you are not eligible for Medicaid benefits, the premiums can still be paid, in some instances, if you lose your job or have your work hours reduced. If you need help with a COBRA premium, you must apply quickly, to determine if Medicaid can help pay the premium.

You may be eligible for the Medicare Savings Program. This program pays your Medicare premiums and deductibles.

If you have Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), Medicaid may be able to help pay your health insurance premiums.

How do I know if my income and resources qualify me for Medicaid?

The chart below shows how much income you can receive in a month and the amount of resources (if applicable) you can retain and still qualify for Medicaid. The income and resource (if applicable) levels depend on the number of your family members who live with you.

2010 Income & Resource Levels*
  Medicaid Standard for Singles
People, Couples without
Children & Low Income
Net Income for Families; and Individuals who
are Blind, Disabled or Age 65+
Resource Level
(Individuals who are Blind, Disabled or Age 65+ ONLY)
Annual Monthly Annual Monthly
1 $8,479 $707 $9,200 $767 $13,800
2 $10,584 $883 $13,400 $1,117 $20,100
3 $12,593 $1,050 $15,410 $1,285 $23,115
4 $14,622 $1,219 $17,420 $1,452 $26,130
5 $16,719 $1,394 $19,430 $1,620 $29,145
6 $18,253 $1,522 $21,440 $1,787 $32,160
7 $19,869 $1,656 $23,450 $1,955 $35,175
8 $21,943 $1,829 $25,460 $2,122 $38,190
9 $23,131 $1,928 $27,470 $2,289 $41,205
10 $24,321 $2,027 $29,480 $2,457 $44,220
For each additional person, add:   $99 $2,010 $168 $3,015

*Effective January 1, 2010

Income and Resource Levels are subject to yearly adjustments.

You may also own a home, a car, and personal property and still be eligible. The income and resources (if applicable) of legally responsible relatives in the household will also be counted.

Can I be eligible for Medicaid even if I make more money than the chart shows?

Yes, some people can. Pregnant women, children, disabled persons, and others may be eligible for Medicaid if their income is above these levels and they have medical bills. Ask your Medicaid worker if you fit into one of these groups.

Individuals who are certified blind, certified disabled, or age 65 or older who have more resources may also be eligible. Ask your Medicaid worker if this applies to you.

If an adult has too much income and/or resources and is not eligible for Medicaid, that person may be eligible for:

Expanded Income levels for Children and Pregnant Women

  • Infants to age one and pregnant women - 200% of the federal poverty level.
  • Children age 1 through 5 years - 133% of the federal poverty level.
  • Children age 6 through 18 years - 100% of the federal poverty level.
Monthly Income Effective January 1, 2009*
Number in Family 100% FPL** 133% FPL** 200% FPL**
1 $903 $1,201 $1,805
2 $1,215 $1,615 $2,429
3 $1,526 $2,030 $3,052
4 $1,838 $2,444 $3,675
5 $2,150 $2,859 $4,299
6 $2,461 $3,273 $4,922
7 $2,773 $3,688 $5,545
8 $3,085 $4,102 $6,169
For each additional person, add: +$312 +$415 +$624

* Income Levels are subject to yearly adjustments.

** FPL = Federal Poverty Level

If a child has too much income and is not eligible for Medicaid, the child may be eligible for Child Health Plus.

What are my rights?

The Medicaid application, Access NY Health Care, tells you what your rights are when you apply for Medicaid. See the pages titled "Terms, Rights and Responsibilities." People who receive Medicaid have privacy rights. Medicaid keeps your health information private and shares it only when we need to.

If you wish to apply for Medicaid, contact the local department of social services.You may also contact an enrollment facilitator. They can help you apply for Medicaid and Family Health Plus.

Generally, local districts must determine if you are eligible and send a letter notifying you if your application has been accepted or denied within 45 days of the date of your application. If you are pregnant or applying on behalf of children, the local district has 30 days from the date of your application to determine if you are eligible for Medicaid. If you are applying and have a disability which must be evaluated, it can take up to 90 days to determine if you are eligible.

If you are not satisfied with a decision made by the local social services district, you may request a conference with the agency. You may also appeal to the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance and request a Fair Hearing.

How do I request a State fair hearing?

You can ask for a fair hearing by:

1) Telephone: You may call the state wide toll free number: 800-342-3334; OR

2) Fax Number: (518) 473-6735; OR

3) On-Line: Complete and send the online request form at:; OR

4) Write: to the Fair Hearing Section, New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance, P.O. Box 1930, Albany, New York 12201.

Can I still keep part of my income if I am in a nursing home (Residential Health Care Facility) or in an intermediate care facility for the developmentally disabled?

Yes. Under Medicaid you are allowed to keep a small amount for your personal needs. You can also keep some of your income for your family if they are dependent on you. A spouse who remains in the community may also keep resources and income above the levels shown.

Will there be a lien (legal claim) placed on my estate (my assets) when I die?

If you receive medical services paid for by Medicaid on or after your 55th birthday, or when permanently residing in a medical institution, Medicaid may recover the amount of the cost of these services from the assets in your estate upon your death.

What health services are covered by Medicaid?

In general, the following services are paid for by Medicaid, but some may not be covered for you because of your age, financial circumstances, family situation, transfer of resource requirements, or living arrangements. Some services have small co-payments. These services may be provided using your Medicaid card or through your managed care plan if you are enrolled in managed care. You will not have a co-pay if you are in a managed care plan.

  • smoking cessation agents
  • treatment and preventive health and dental care (doctors and dentists)
  • hospital inpatient and outpatient services
  • laboratory and X-ray services
  • care in a nursing home
  • care through home health agencies and personal care
  • treatment in psychiatric hospitals (for persons under 21 or those 65 and older), mental health facilities, and facilities for the mentally retarded or the developmentally disabled
  • family planning services
  • early periodic screening, diagnosis, and treatment for children under 21 years of age under the Child/Teen Health Program
  • medicine, supplies, medical equipment, and appliances (wheelchairs, etc.)
  • clinic services
  • transportation to medical appointments, including public transportation and car mileage
  • emergency ambulance transportation to a hospital
  • prenatal care
  • some insurance and Medicare premiums
  • other health services

If you are eligible for Medicaid, you will receive a Benefit Identification Card which must be used when you need medical services. There may be limitations on certain services.

For you to use your Benefit Identification Card for certain medical supplies, equipment, or services (e.g., wheelchair, orthopedic shoes, transportation), you or the person or facility that will provide the service must receive approval before the service can be provided (prior approval).

What is a Medicaid managed care program?

Enrollment in a Medicaid managed care program through a Health Maintenance Organization (HMO), clinic, hospital, or physician group is available at any local department of social services. You may be required to join a managed care plan. When you join a managed care program, you will choose a personal doctor who will be responsible for making sure all your health care needs are met. The doctor will send you to someone else if you need more help than the doctor can provide.

What does managed care cover?

Managed care covers most of the benefits recipients will use, including all preventive and primary care, inpatient care, and eye care. People in managed care plans use their Medicaid benefit card to get those services that the plan does not cover.

Do I have to join a managed care plan?

In many counties you can join a plan if there is one available and you want to. However, there are some counties where families will have to join a plan. In these counties there are some individuals who don't have to join. Please check with your local social services department to see if you have to join a plan.

Of special interest to persons with disabilities:

If you think you are disabled, and if you meet the criteria for disability included in the Social Security Act, you may be eligible for Medicaid.

If you believe you are disabled, you should furnish the local department of social services with medical evidence about your impairment(s).

It may be necessary for you to have further examinations and/or tests for the disability to be determined.

The cost of such examinations, consultations, and tests requested by the disability review team, if not otherwise covered, will be paid by the local social services agency.

NOTE: Persons who are denied for reasons of failure to meet the disability criteria are entitled to appeal the disability decision that led to the denial of their application. See the section of this page entitled "What are my rights?". Any person dissatisfied with the Fair Hearing decision of the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance may also appeal to the court system.

Local Department of Social Services

If you send an e-mail to please include your phone number so we can respond to you as quickly as possible.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Florida Medicaid Programs For Low Income

Medicaid provides Medical coverage to low income individuals and families. The state and federal government share the costs of the Medicaid program. Medicaid services in Florida are administered by the Agency for Health Care Administration.

Medicaid eligibility in Florida is determined either by the Department of Children and Families (DCF) or the Social Security Administration (for SSI recipients).

DCF determines Medicaid eligibility for:

  • Low income families with children
  • Children only
  • Pregnant women
  • Non-citizens with medical emergencies
  • Aged and/or disabled individuals not currently receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Medicaid for Low Income Families With Children

Children up to age 18 and their parents or caretaker relatives may be eligible for Medicaid if the family’s countable income does not exceed the income limits and countable assets are not above $2,000.

  • Individuals who receive Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA) are eligible for Medicaid. Individuals who are eligible for TCA, but choose not to receive it, may still be eligible for Medicaid.
  • Families who lose Medicaid eligibility due to earned income may be eligible for up to 12 additional months of Medicaid, if they meet certain requirements.
  • Families that lose Medicaid eligibility due to child support or alimony may be eligible for 4 additional months of Medicaid.

Additional information about Medicaid for low income families is available in the Family-Related Medicaid Fact Sheet.

Information regarding the income and asset limits for Medicaid for low income families and children can be found on the Family Related Medicaid Income/Asset Limits.

Medicaid for Children Only

Parents and caretakers may apply for Medicaid on behalf of their children under age 19 living in their home, if the family income is under the limit for the age of the child.

Families can apply for Medicaid online at: View more detailed information about Medicaid for children.

Children eligible for the Medicaid may enroll in the Child Health Check-up Program. This program provides regularly scheduled health checkups, dental screenings, immunizations and other medical services for children. For information on the Child Health Check-up Program, visit the Agency for Health Care Administrations information page at:

Families may also apply for medical assistance for children only with the Florida KidCare program. Medicaid is one of the components of the Florida KidCare Program. If children do not qualify for Medicaid due to family income, the application will be sent electronically to Florida Healthy Kids (FHK).

FHK covers otherwise eligible children with income less than 200% of the Federal Poverty Level. A separate application is not necessary.

To find information or apply for the Florida KidCare Program, visit their website at:

Medicaid for Pregnant Women

There are three ways to apply:

1. Presumptively Eligible Pregnant Women (PEPW): A temporary coverage for prenatal care only by local clinics. The same application will be sent to DCF for an ongoing Medicaid determination. For more information, please see the Family-Related Medicaid Factsheet. (Page 9)

2. Simplified Eligibility for Pregnant Women (SEPW): A simplified "full coverage" for pregnant women only. To apply, please complete the one page application linked below. Print the application and mail, fax or return it in person to the nearest ACCESS office: (English)  (Español)  (Kreyòl).

3. ACCESS application: This is an application for "regular" Medicaid, including other family members, cash assistance and/or food assistance. Please visit this link to begin: For more information see the Family-Related Medicaid Factsheet. (Page 10)

Women with family income over the limit for Medicaid, may qualify for the Medically Needy Program. For more information see the Family-Related Medicaid Factsheet. (Page 12)

For pregnant women who do not meet the citizenship requirements for Medicaid, see the information below about Emergency Medicaid for Aliens.

Emergency Medical Assistance (EMA) For Non-Citizens

Noncitizens, who are Medicaid eligible except for their citizenship status, may be eligible for Medicaid to cover a serious medical emergency. This includes the emergency labor and delivery of a child. Before Medicaid may be authorized, applicants must provide proof from a medical professional stating the treatment was due to an emergency condition. The proof also must include the dates of the emergency.

Medicaid for Aged or Disabled

Medicaid for low income individuals who are either aged (65 or older) or disabled is called SSI-Related Medicaid.

Florida residents who are eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) are automatically eligible for Medicaid coverage from the Social Security Administration. There is no need to file a separate ACCESS Florida application unless nursing home services are needed.

Individuals may apply for full Medicaid coverage and other services using the online ACCESS Florida Application and submitting it electronically. If long term care services in a nursing home or community setting are needed, the individual must check the box for HCBS/Waivers or Nursing Home on the Benefit Information screen. HCBS/Waiver programs provide in-home or assisted living services that help prevent institutionalization.

Medicare Savings Programs (Medicare Buy-In) help Medicare beneficiaries with limited finances pay their Medicare premiums; and in some instances, deductibles and co-payments. Medicare Buy-In provides different levels of assistance depending on the amount of an individual or couple’s income. Individuals may apply for Medicare Buy-In coverage only by completing a Medicaid/Medicare Buy-In Application.

Print the form, complete it and mail or fax it to a local Customer Service Center.

Individuals eligible for Medicaid or a Medicare Savings Program are automatically enrolled in Social Security's Extra Help with Part D (Low Income Subsidy) benefit for the remainder of the year. An individual may also apply directly with Social Security for the Medicare Extra Help Program. Individuals who do apply directly for the Medicare Extra Help Program have the option of having the same application consideration for the Medicare Savings Program. If the individual takes the option of having the Medicare Extra Help Program application considered for the Medicare Savings Program, the Social Security Administration will send information electronically to Florida and the individual will be contacted.

More information about Medicaid programs for aged or disabled individuals is available in the SSI-Related Fact Sheets. Income and asset limits may be found on the SSI-Related Programs Financial Eligibility Standards. Important information for individuals seeking Medicaid for long term care services in a nursing home or community setting is available in the Qualified Income Trust Fact Sheet.

Medicaid Cards

Permanent gold Medicaid cards are issued for each individual who is eligible for Medicaid. The Medicaid card should be presented to medical providers when medical care is being requested. To request a replacement card, call 1-866-762-2237. Those on Medicaid can print a temporary Medicaid card from their ACCESS Account.  Further information on Medicaid services is available from the Agency for Health Care Administration.

Medically Needy (Share of Cost)

Individuals who are not eligible for "full" Medicaid because their income or assets are over the Medicaid program limits may qualify for the Medically Needy program. Individuals enrolled in Medically Needy must have a certain amount of medical bills each month before Medicaid can be approved. This is referred to as a "share of cost" and varies depending on the household's size and income.

Once an individual meets the share of cost for the month, the individual must contact DCF to complete bill tracking and approve Medicaid for the remainder of the month. Information about this program can be found in the Medically Needy Brochure  (Español)  (Kreyòl).

Medical Help for Those Who Are Not Eligible for Full Medicaid

Note: The following programs are not under the Department of Children & Families.

Individuals who are not eligible for Medicaid may get help with the cost of prescription drugs through the Florida Discount Drug Card Program.

Individuals, ages 19 to 64, who have not had health insurance coverage for at least six months (even with pre-existing health conditions), may qualify for affordable coverage through the Cover Florida Health Care Program.

For information about other ACCESS Florida programs, visit Temporary Cash Assistance and Food Assistance.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

California Medical Help For The Uninsured And Low Income


If you do not have health insurance, find out about low-cost or no-cost health insurance and other resources for you and your family. There are many resources in California. The ones listed here may help you.

If you think you may lose your health insurance, try to keep it or get new insurance in less than 60 days. Read about COBRA and HIPAA.

Know Your Costs

Resources for People with Low or No Incomes

AIM Program (Access for Infants and Mothers)
A state program with low-cost health insurance for low- and middle-income pregnant women and their newborns
1-800-433-2611 (many languages) (Spanish)

Healthcare foundation that provides premium subsidized health care services to children ages 2 - 18

California Children's Services (CCS)
A state program that treats children with certain disabilities and health problems

Information on Medicare in California and financial aid for Medicare members
1-888-430-2423 (Spanish) (publications only) (Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese)

Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
Government agency with information on Medi-Cal (California's name for Medicaid)

County Medical Services Program (CMSP)
County program with health care for people who qualify because of low incomes
Contact your local county health department

Families USA
Information packet developed by Families USA
Getting Covered: Finding Health Insurance When You Lose Your Job

Family Pact
Family planning and reproductive services

Healthy Families
State program with low-cost health and dental insurance for children in low-income families
1-800-880-5305 (many languages) (Spanish)

State and federal program with health care for people who qualify because of low or no incomes and/or costly disabilities. To apply for Medi-Cal contact your county social services office.

Partnership for Prescription Assistance
Help for patients who do not have prescription drug coverage
1-888-477-2669 (Spanish)

RX Help for CA
Help for patients who do not have prescription drug coverage
1-877-777-7815 (Spanish)

General Resources

Coverage for All
Help finding no-cost and low-cost health care for individuals, families and small businesses

MRMIP (California Major Risk Medical Insurance Program)
Information on California's insurance program for people with serious health problems who have difficulty buying individual health insurance because of their medical history
1-800-289-6574 (many languages)
1-800-735-2929 (TTY)

Know Your Costs

If you need medical care and you have to pay for it yourself, try to find out how much you will have to pay. Sometimes it is hard to find out costs. And there may be more than one charge, such as one charge from the doctor and another from the hospital or clinic.

  • Ask your doctor, hospital, or other provider what the service will cost.
  • Ask if there is a discount for people who pay with cash or credit card. Ask if you can make payments.
  • Every hospital must provide a list of its 25 most common procedures. These include inpatient services, like hip surgery, as well as outpatient services, like cataract surgery or colonoscopy. You can read these lists on the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development website.
  • The law says that a hospital must give you a written estimate of hospital charges if you do not have insurance. The hospital must also give you information on financial aid programs and charity care.
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Sacramento, California Listing Of Medical Clinics For Low Income

Clinic Name City Phone
Planned Parenthood Mar Monte - North Highlands North Highlands (916) 332-5715
Health for All - V Street Sacramento (916) 448-6553
Health for All Freeport Clinic Sacramento (916) 427-0368
Health For All Las Palmas Clinic Sacramento (916) 924-6703
Planned Parenthood Mar Monte - Fruitridge Sacramento (916) 452-7305
Planned Parenthood Mar Monte - Sacramento Sacramento (916) 446-2658
Planned Parenthood Mar Monte - Sacramento Sacramento (916) 446-6921
Sacramento Native American Health Center Sacramento (916) 341-0575
The Birthing Project Sacramento (916) 558-4812
The Effort Medical Clinic Sacramento (916) 325-5556
Women's Health Specialists Sacramento (916) 873-6190
Women's Health Specialists - Sacramento Sacramento (916) 451-0621
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Los Angeles County, California Listing Of Medical Clinics For Low Income

Clinic Name City Phone
El Proyecto del Barrio - Arleta Arleta (818) 896-1135
El Proyecto del Barrio, Inc. Arleta (818) 610-1632
Bell Gardens Family Medical Center Bell Gardens (562) 928-9600
Family Health Care Centers of Greater Los Angeles Bell Gardens (562) 928-9600
JWCH - Bell Gardens Community Health Center Bell Gardens (323) 562-5813
Aids Healthcare Foundation Healthcare Center - Westside Beverly Hills (310) 657-9353
Planned Parenthood Los Angeles - Burbank Burbank (818) 843-2009
El Proyecto del Barrio - Canoga Park Canoga Park (818) 883-2273
Northeast Valley Health Corporation - Canoga Park Canoga Park (818) 340-3570
Planned Parenthood Los Angeles - Canoga Park Canoga Park (818) 843-2009
Samuel Dixon Family Health Center - Canyon Country Clinic Canyon Country (661) 424-1220
St. John's Well Child Center - Compton Compton (310) 603-1332
AltaMed Medical Group - El Monte El Monte (626) 453-8466
Cleaver Family Wellness Clinic El Monte (626) 579-0290
JWCH - El Monte Comprehensive Health Center El Monte (626) 450-8848
Planned Parenthood Los Angeles - El Monte El Monte (818) 843-2009
South Bay Family Healthcare Center - Gardena Gardena (310) 802-6170
Hawaiian Gardens Health Center Hawaiian Gardens (562) 420-2433
The Saban - Hollywood Health Center Hollywood (323) 462-8632
Northeast Community Clinic - Gage Middle School HC Huntington Park (323) 589-0916
South Bay Family Healthcare Center - Inglewood Inglewood (310) 802-6170
BAART La Puente Clinic La Puente (626) 855-5090
San Gabriel Valley Foundation - Dental Health Clinic La Puente (626) 934-2892
Planned Parenthood Los Angeles - Lakewood Lakewood (213) 226-0800
Tarzana Treatment Center - Lancaster Lancaster (661) 723-4829
Planned Parenthood Los Angeles - South Bay Lawndale (310) 787-2607
Children's Dental Health Clinic Long Beach (562) 933-3141
Tarzana Treatment Centers - Long Beach Long Beach (562) 218-1868
The Children's Clinic - Cesar Chavez Elementary School Long Beach (562) 435-5040
The Children's Clinic - Long Beach Long Beach (562) 733-1147
The Children's Clinic - North Long Beach Long Beach (562) 531-7284
The Children's Clinic, Serving Children & Families Long Beach (562) 492-6703
Aids Healthcare Foundation Healthcare Center - Downtown Los Angeles (213) 741-9727
Aids Healthcare Foundation Healthcare Center - Hollywood Los Angeles (323) 662-0492
AltaMed Health Services Corporation Los Angeles (323) 725-8751
AltaMed Medical Group - Buenacare Health - Zonal Los Angeles (323) 223-6146
AltaMed Medical Group - East L.A. - Commerce Los Angeles (323) 869-1900
AltaMed Medical Group - Senior BuenaCare Los Angeles (323) 720-9950
Arroyo Vista Family Health Center - Lincoln Heights Los Angeles (323) 224-2188
Arroyo Vista Family Health Foundation Los Angeles (323) 254-5291
Asian Pacific Health Care Venture Los Angeles (323) 644-3880
BAART Southeast Clinic Los Angeles (323) 235-5035
BAARTBeverly Clinic Los Angeles (213) 607-2010
California Family Health Council Los Angeles (213) 386-5614
Central City Community Health Center - Los Angeles Los Angeles (323) 234-3280
Chinatown Service Center Family Health Clinic Los Angeles (213) 808-1700
Clinica Monsenor Oscar A. Romero Los Angeles (213) 989-7700
Crenshaw Community Health Center Los Angeles (323) 568-5460
E. R. Roybal Comprehensive Health Center Los Angeles (323) 780-2281
Eisner Pediatric & Family Medical Center Los Angeles (213) 746-1037
Harbor Free Clinic - Pediatric Center Los Angeles (310) 732-5887
Healthcare Association of Southern California Los Angeles (213) 538-0710
Hollywood Sunset Free Clinic Los Angeles (323) 660-7959
Jeffrey Goodman Special Care Clinic / LA Gay & Lesbian Center Los Angeles (323) 993-7596
John Marshall High School Los Angeles (323) 665-1129
JWCH - Community Build Youth Clinic Los Angeles (323) 758-4188
JWCH - H. Claude Hudson Comprehensive Health Center Los Angeles (213) 744-3642
JWCH - Hubert H. Humphrey Comprehensive Health Center Los Angeles (213) 846-4353
JWCH - Weingart Medical Clinic Los Angeles (213) 622-2639
JWCH Institute Los Angeles (213) 484-1186
Koryo Health Foundation Los Angeles (213) 380-8833
Los Angeles Christian Health Centers Los Angeles (213) 893-1960
National Health Foundation Los Angeles (213) 538-0723
Northeast Community Clinic - North Figueroa Los Angeles (323) 256-3884
Planned Parenthood Los Angeles - Bixby Los Angeles (213) 226-0800
Planned Parenthood Los Angeles - Bixby Boyle Heights Los Angeles (323) 226-0800
Planned Parenthood Los Angeles Los Angeles (213) 284-3200
Planned Parenthood Los Angeles - Dorothy Hecht Los Angeles (323) 753-7544
Planned Parenthood Los Angeles - Hollywood Los Angeles (213) 226-0800
Queenscare Family Clinics Los Angeles (323) 953-7341
Queenscare Family Clinics - Bresee Los Angeles (213) 201-6878
Queenscare Family Clinics - Eagle Rock Los Angeles (323) 344-5234
Queenscare Family Clinics - East LA Los Angeles (323) 981-1660
Queenscare Family Clinics - Echo Park Los Angeles (213) 413-1050
Queenscare Family Clinics - Hollywood Los Angeles (323) 953-7170
South Central Family Health Center Los Angeles (323) 908-4200
St. John's Well Child & Family Center Los Angeles (323) 541-1600
St. John's Well Child & Family Center - Hyde Park Clinic Los Angeles (323) 541-1400
St. John's Well Child & Family Center - Lincoln Heights Los Angeles (323) 441-2139
St. John's Well Child & Family Center - West Adams Los Angeles (213) 749-0947
T.H.E. Clinic, Inc. - Ruth Temple Los Angeles (323) 730-1920
The Saban Free Clinic Los Angeles (323) 330-1650
UCLA School of Nursing Health Center at the Union Rescue Mission Los Angeles (213) 673-4849
University Muslim Medical Association (UMMA) Community Clinic Los Angeles (323) 789-5610
Watts Healthcare Corporation Los Angeles (323) 357-6680
Women's Clinic & Family Counseling Center Los Angeles (310) 203-8899
BAART Lynwood Clinic Lynwood (310) 537-5883
JWCH - Women's Health Center Lynwood (310) 638-9025
Mission City Community Network North Hills (818) 895-3100
Northeast Valley Health Corporation - Homeless Healthcare Program North Hollywood (818) 765-8656
Valley Community Clinic North Hollywood (818) 763-1718
Tarzana Treatment Center Northridge (818) 996-1051
MEND-Meet Each Need with Dignity Pacoima (818) 896-0246
Northeast Valley Health Corporation - Maclay Health Center for Children Pacoima (818) 899-7492
Northeast Valley Health Corporation - Pacoima Pacoima (818) 896-0531
Community Health Alliance Of Pasadena Pasadena (626) 398-6300
Planned Parenthood Pasadena - Pasadena Pasadena (626) 794-5737
AltaMed Medical Group - Pico Rivera Pico Rivera (562) 949-6069
Tavarua Medical and Mental Services Pico Rivera (562) 692-2522
East Valley Community Health Center Pomona Pomona 909-620-8088
Planned Parenthood Los Angeles - Pomona Pomona (909) 620-4268
South Bay Family Healthcare Center - Redondo Beach Redondo Beach (310) 802-6170
Northeast Valley Health Corporation San Fernando (818) 898-1388
Northeast Valley Health Corporation - San Fernando San Fernando (818) 365-8086
Northeast Valley Health Corporation - San Fernando High School San Fernando (818) 365-7517
Harbor Community Clinic San Pedro (310) 547-0202
Planned Parenthood Los Angeles - Santa Monica Santa Monica (213) 226-0800
Venice Family Clinic - Simms/Mann Health & Wellness Center Santa Monica (310) 392-8630
Westside Family Health Center Santa Monica (310) 450-4773
Aids Healthcare Foundation Healthcare Center - Valley Sherman Oaks (818) 380-2626
Northeast Valley Health Corporation - Sun Valley Health Center Sun Valley (818) 432-4400
Northeast Valley Health Corporation - L.A. Mission College - Student Health Center Sylmar (818) 362-6182
South Bay Family Healthcare Center Torrance (310) 802-6177
Samuel Dixon Family Health Center- Val Verde Clinic Val Verde (661) 257-4008
Northeast Valley Health Corporation - Valencia Valencia (661) 287-1551
Samuel Dixon Family Health Center Valencia (661) 257-7892
Northeast Valley Health Corporation - Van Nuys Adult Health Center Van Nuys (818) 988-6335
Planned Parenthood Los Angeles - Van Nuys Van Nuys (323) 843-2009
Van Nuys Medical & Mental Health Services Van Nuys (818) 779-0555
Venice Family Clinic Venice (310) 392-8630
Venice Family Clinic - Robert Levine Family Health Center Venice 310-392-8630
East Valley Community Health Center, Inc. West Covina (626) 919-4333
American Indian Healing Center, Inc. Whittier (562) 693-4325
Planned Parenthood Los Angeles - Whittier Whittier (310) 787-2666
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Orange County, California Listing Of Medical Clinics For Low Income

Clinic Name City Phone
Planned Parenthood Anaheim Anaheim (714) 956-2002
St. Jude Dental Clinic Buena Park (714) 522-8723
Planned Parenthood Costa Mesa Costa Mesa (949) 548-8830
Share Our Selves Free Clinic Costa Mesa (949) 650-0186
Sierra Health Center - Fullerton Fullerton (714) 870-0717
St. Jude Family Mobile Health Clinic - 1 Fullerton (714) 446-5100
Nhan Hoa Comprehensive Health Clinic Garden Grove (714) 539-3032
AltaMed Medical Group - Huntington Beach Community Clinic Huntington Beach (714) 375-2265
Friends of Family Health Center La Habra (562) 690-4001
Institute for Healthcare Advancement La Habra (800) 434-4633
The Gary Center La Habra (562) 691-3263
Laguna Beach Community Clinic, Inc Laguna Beach (949) 494-0761
Planned Parenthood Mission Viejo Mission Viejo (949) 768-3643
La Amistad de Jose Family Health Center Orange (714) 771-8006
Lestonnac Free Clinic Orange (714) 633-4600
Planned Parenthood Orange/San Bernardino Orange (714) 633-6373
Puente a La Salud Mobile Community Clinic Unit I Orange (714) 744-8801
Puente a La Salud Mobile Community Clinic Unit IV Orange  
Mission Hospital's Camino Health Center San Juan Capistrano (949) 240-2030
CHOC Clinica Para Ninos Santa Ana  
Planned Parenthood Santa Ana Santa Ana (714) 973-1727
University of California, Irvine - Family Health Center Santa Ana (714) 480-2443
Orange County Rescue Tustin (714) 247-4300
Planned Parenthood Westminster Westminster (714) 891-0955
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Marin County, California Listing Of Medical Clinics For Low Income

Clinic Name City Phone
Marin Community Clinic - Greenbrae Greenbrae (415) 448-1500
Marin Community Clinic Novato (415) 448-1546
Coastal Health Alliance Point Reyes Station (415) 663-8781
Center Point Medical Clinic San Rafael (415) 456-6655
Marin Community Clinic - San Rafael San Rafael (415) 526-8515
Planned Parenthood Golden Gate-San Rafael San Rafael (415) 454-04
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Illinois Medical Assistance Programs For Low Income

The Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services (HFS) is committed to improving the health of Illinois' families by providing access to quality health care. This mission is accomplished through HFS Medical Programs that pay for a wide range of health services provided by thousands of medical providers throughout Illinois to about two million Illinoisans each year. The primary medical programs are:

  1. medical assistance as authorized under the Illinois Public Aid Code (305 ILCS 5/5 et seq.) and Title XIX of the Social Security Act, Medicaid; and
  2. children’s health insurance as authorized under the Illinois Insurance Code (215 ILCS 106/1 et seq.) and Title XXI of the Social Security Act, the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP).

Necessary medical benefits as well as preventive care for children are covered for eligible persons when provided by an enrolled health care provider. Eligibility requirements vary by program. Most people who enroll are covered for comprehensive services. Some programs, however, cover a limited set of services.

Comprehensive Medical Benefits

HFS provides comprehensive medical benefits to residents of Illinois who are children, parents or caretaker relatives raising children younger than 19, pregnant women, seniors 65 years of age or older and persons who have a disability or blindness.

Eligible persons are covered for a comprehensive array of health services including doctor visits and dental care, well-child care, immunizations for children, specialty medical services, mental health and substance abuse services, hospital care, nursing facility care, emergency services, prescription drugs, family planning and medical equipment and supplies.

To be eligible, most persons must also be U.S. citizens or qualified immigrants. This requirement does not apply to pregnant women.

Family Health Plans cover children and parents or caretaker relatives of children.

  • All Kids offers health care coverage to all children living in Illinois. Illinois is the first state in the nation to ensure that every child, regardless of medical conditions or income, has access to healthcare. Some families have to pay premiums and co-payments for All Kids health insurance. What you pay will depend on your income.
  • FamilyCare covers health care services for parents or caretaker relatives of children with income up to 185% of poverty. Parents who are Illinois residents can get FamilyCare if they are U.S. citizens or meet immigration requirements and have income within the FamilyCare income standard for their family size. There are small co-pays, from $2 to $5, for doctor visits and prescriptions. Parents in FamilyCare Premium pay a monthly premium, from $15 to $40, depending on the number of family members covered.
  • Moms and Babies provides health care coverage to pregnant women and their infant up to 200% of poverty. Pregnant women who are residents of Illinois can get Moms and Babies if their income in within the Moms and Babies income standard for their family size. There is no cost to the women and infants in Moms and Babies.

Foster Care and Adoption Assistance covers foster and subsidized adopted children for whom the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services has legal responsibility and foster or adopted children living in Illinois who are technically the responsibility of other states.

AABD Medical covers persons who are seniors or who have a disability or are blind. An eligible single person may have income up to 100% of poverty ($867 per month) and no more than $2,000 of assets other than a home. A couple may have income up to $1,167 per month and up to $3,000 of assets in addition to their home.

Health Benefits for Workers with Disabilities covers persons with disabilities who work and have earnings up to 200% of poverty ($1,733 per month for a single person) who pay a monthly premium. Eligible persons may have up to $10,000 in assets other than a home. For more information visit the HBWD Web site.

Health Benefits for Persons with Breast or Cervical Cancer (DPH) covers persons who are screened through the Illinois Breast and Cervical Cancer Program operated by the Illinois Department of Public Health (DPH) and found to need treatment. Referrals for enrollment must come from the public health program. For more information visit DPH Illinois Breast and Cervical Cancer Program pages.

Refugee Program covers persons who are not citizens and who are not otherwise qualified aliens but who are admitted to the U.S. as refugees, asylees or conditional entrants; resident non-citizens who were formerly refugees; certain Amerasian immigrants from Vietnam; certain Cubans and Haitians; or victims of human trafficking.

The Illinois Cares Rx program combines SeniorCare and pharmaceutical portion of the CircuitBreaker program to provide comprehensive prescription coverage to seniors, age 65 or older, that Medicare Part D does not cover. Illinois Cares Rx consists of two plans: Basic and Plus. To qualify for the program you must fill out Form IL-1363 each year. For more information visit the Illinois Cares Rx Web site.

Healthy Start – Medicaid Presumptive Eligibility provides outpatient care to pregnant women who have been determined presumptively eligible by a qualified medical provider. These temporary benefits continue until either the date of disposition of the woman’s application for regular benefits or the last day of the month following the month the MPE determination was made if no application is received by HFS. To be eligible, a woman must live in Illinois and have income under 200% of poverty ($2,333 per month for a two-person family).

Illinois Healthy Women provides reproductive health care coverage to women between the ages of 19 through 44 years who are U.S. citizens or qualified immigrants who are losing other HFS medical benefits. Illinois Healthy Women provides an opportunity for these women to plan if and when to get pregnant to help them have a healthy birth. For more information visit the Illinois Healthy Women Web site.

The program covers annual physicals, pap smears, mammograms, contraceptives, testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases, multi-vitamins with folic acid or folic acid and HIV testing.

Medicare Cost Sharing covers the cost of Medicare Part B premiums, coinsurance and deductibles for persons who have Medicare Part A Hospital Insurance and income up to 100% of poverty. For example, that is $903 per month for a single person or $1,214 for a couple. For persons who have Medicare Part A Hospital Insurance and income up to 135% of poverty ($1,218 per month for a single person or $1,639 for a couple) the program only covers the cost of Medicare Part B premiums. To be eligible, a single person may have no more than $6,600 in assets other than a home, and a couple may have no more than $9,910 in assets other than a home.

State Sexual Assault Survivors Emergency Treatment Program pays certified Illinois transfer centers and treatment hospitals for outpatient emergency room services on behalf of survivors of alleged sexual assault. The program also provides reimbursement for two follow-up visits rendered at the emergency room within six weeks of the initial visit. Hospitals are responsible for collecting all associated bills from other providers such as physicians, ambulance companies, etc., and submit these bills in a billing packet to HFS for payment.

State Chronic Renal Disease Program assists persons with chronic renal disease who do not qualify for other HFS medical benefits. Services covered include treatment in dialysis centers and hospitals, transplant surgery, treatment in a limited care facility, home dialysis training and home dialysis. Some individuals may be responsible for paying a monthly participation fee to the dialysis facility. Participation fees are determined by the individual's family income and family size. For more information visit the State Chronic Renal Disease Program.

State Hemophilia Program provides financial assistance to persons with hemophilia who do not qualify for other HFS medical benefits. The program pays for the cost of the antihemophilic factors, annual comprehensive medical visits and other medical expenses related to the disease. Participants must complete a financial application to qualify for the program.

Transitional Assistance (City of Chicago) provides limited outpatient services to very low-income persons (income less than 30% of poverty) living in Chicago who are not otherwise eligible.

Emergency Services Program covers the cost of emergency services for noncitizens who meet all other qualifications for Family Health Plans or AABD medical except they do not have qualifying immigration status.


For more information about medical benefits, call the Health Benefits Hotline:
In Illinois 1-866-4-OUR-KIDS (1-866-468-7543) (toll-free)
Outside Illinois 1-217-785-8036
Persons Using TTY 1-877-204-1012 (toll-free)

For information about where to apply for medical benefits, you may also call:

1-800-843-6154 or, for persons using a TTY, 1-800-447-6404

or go to a local office operated by the Department of Human Services.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Collin County, Texas Medical Health Assistance For Low Income

Collin County Indigent Health Office
825 N. McDonald Street     map
Suite 110
McKinney, Texas 75069

Phone: 972-548-5524 or 5501 (McKinney)
  972-424-1460 ext. 5524 or 5501 (Metro)
Fax: 972-548-4798
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8am - 11am & 1pm - 4pm

Additional Health Care Assistance: Non-Profit Organizations & Private Clinics
Collin County helps fund non-profit health care providers and clinics throughout the area that offer a variety of health care needs from visual screenings for kids to prescription assistance to medical help for seniors. Included in the listings below, we’ve posted a brief summary of what these caring organizations did with county taxpayer funding from September 2008 through March 2009. Eligible residents may apply for these benefits at the individual clinic locations listed below:

Allen Community Outreach provides visual screening and glasses for children and prescription assistance for eligible low income residents; so far, vision screening and glasses for 10 children, prescription assistance for 31 adults. 301 W. Boyd Dr., Allen, TX 75013; (972)727-9131.

The Assistance Center of Collin County provides prescription assistance for eligible low income residents; so far, has served 28 clients. 900 E. 18th St., Plano, TX 75074; (972)422-1850 / (800)725-4936.

The Bridge Breast Network provides limited surgical procedures for low income uninsured county residents diagnosed with breast cancer; from September-March, helped 41 women get breast cancer treatment. 3600 Gaston Ave, Suite 401, Dallas, TX 75246; (214)821-3820 / Toll-free: 1-877-258-1396.

Collin County Adult Clinic provides limited primary care to eligible uninsured adult residents; so far, has handled 692 primary care visits for adults. 2520 Ave. K, #100, Plano, TX 75074; (972)423-4941.

Collin County Committee on Aging provides evening and weekend meals to senior residents in rural areas through their Meals on Wheels program; has delivered 6,081 meals to clients sine September. 600 North Tennessee St., McKinney, TX 75069; (972)562-6996.

Community LifeLine of McKinney provides prescription assistance for eligible low income residents; 503 North Kentucky St., Suite A, McKinney, TX 75069; (972)542-0020.

Frisco Family Services provides prescription assistance for eligible low income residents; so far, has provided prescription help for 20 clients. 8780 Third St., Frisco, TX 75034; (972)335-9495.

Geriatric Wellness Center of Collin County provides post hospitalization assistance and risk factor monitoring for seniors; more than 645 preventive health services for seniors, plus 25 case management services. 401 West 16th St., Suite 600, Plano, TX 75075; (972)941-7335.

Plano Children's Medical Clinic, provides sick child visits for eligible low income children; carried out 396 primary care visits for local kids. 1407 14th St, Plano, TX‎; (972)801-9689.


Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Chronic Disease Fund Financial Assistance For Underinsured Patients

Click Here For Website

The Chronic Disease Fund is one of the few charitable organizations to provide direct and immediate financial assistance to underinsured patients with chronic disease, cancers or life-altering conditions who cannot afford the co-payments for the expensive medications they need.

Patients who cannot afford their medications must fight two battles— their disease and the financial burden it places on their families. Though most patients with chronic or life-altering diseases have private

insurance or a Medicare Part D plan, it is estimated that over 35% still cannot afford the co-pays or deductibles for their medications.

Underinsured patients are not eligible for most free drug or patient assistance programs, leaving them with few alternatives. If they can’t afford to fill or refill their prescriptions, they may be forced to do without their medications, go into debt to obtain them, reduce the dosage or stop taking them against doctor’s orders, any of which can have a serious effect on a patient’s health and quality of life.

Our organization helps this underserved population of patients obtain the expensive medications they need but cannot afford even with insurance. By funding their prescription drug co-payments and providing free therapy management services, we can ease their financial burden, ensure them access to the medications they need, enable them to experience the full benefits of their treatment by increasing drug compliance, and assist them in monitoring their health and disease progression over time.

Patients may choose to receive their prescription from any pharmacy that is able to dispense the product. If a patient chooses to utilize one of our participating pharmacies we will be able to alleviate the patient’s cash-flow issues by paying their out-of-pocket costs directly to the pharmacy on their behalf. Otherwise, patients can fill their prescription at a local pharmacy and submit their receipts for reimbursement.

We require that patients are 100% compliant with their prescribed treatment. By maximizing patient compliance we can achieve our goal of improving patient health and quality of life. To assist patients in staying compliant, the Fund provides patients with free access to DiseaseTrak™, an online therapy management tool.

Toll-Free Patient Information : (877) 968-7233
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Arizona - Medical Assistance

An integral component of promoting the safety, well-being, and self-sufficiency of children, adults, and families in Arizona is in ensuring access to health care services. To this end, the Department of Economic Security (DES), in partnership with the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), determines individuals’ eligibility for Medical Assistance.

The medical coverage provided by AHCCCS to thousands of Arizonans each year may include doctor’s office visits, physical exams, immunizations, prenatal care, hospital care and prescriptions.

Many individuals who qualify for medical assistance are also likely having difficulty meeting other basic needs - such as food and shelter. While applying for Medical Assistance the same application may be used to apply for Nutrition Assistance and Cash Assistance. Therefore, families only have to provide information once in order to determine if they are eligible for multiple types of services that may enhance their family's well-being.


There are several types of medical assistance with different eligibility criteria, mostly dependent on the individual or family’s income and resources and residency in Arizona. Under state and federal laws, individuals who qualify for medical assistance – except for Federal Emergency Medical Assistance – must be either U.S. citizens or qualified immigrants

In some cases, individuals who earn too much to qualify for medical assistance may qualify for a "spend down" program. The spend down program considers allowable medical expenses and may qualify the individual under lower income limits.

Individuals can pre-screen their eligibility for many health and human service programs – including medical assistance – on-line at:

More detailed program-specific eligibility requirements are also available in the DES Family Assistance Administration (FAA) Policy Manual, located on-line

Applying For Services
Apply for benefits on-line at or complete the Application for Benefits (FA-001) form and return it to the local office that serves your ZIP Code. When renewing your benefits, completethe shorter Renewal Assistance Application (FA-001-M) form  (145 KB DOC). Applications may be obtained at any Family Assistance Administration (FAA) local office or on the DES Forms Library. To locate the FAA office closest to your residence go to the FAA Office Locator
There are no fees for applying for medical assistance. Some medical assistance programs may require the participant to make a co-payment when receiving medical services.  The co-payment may be waived by the medical provider.  The KidsCare program does require payment of monthly premiums.
Performance or Accomplishments
  • In fiscal year 2008, DES processed approximately 1,361,400 initial applications to determine eligibility for medical assistance.
  • In fiscal year 2008, DES family assistance staff completed approximately 925,500 re-determination applications (individuals receiving medical assistance must have their eligibility re-determined every six months).
Common Myths
Myth: Individuals and families who have health insurance coverage are not eligible for medical assistance. Myth: You have no choice in health plan or physician when you have medical assistance coverage.
Fact: Individuals and families who are covered by health insurance may be eligible for AHCCCS medical coverage when they meet all other program criteria.  AHCCCS then becomes the secondary provider of medical coverage. Fact: The individual may select a health plan when applying for medical assistance.  When they are determined eligible for medical assistance, the health plan will provide them with information on how to select their primary care provider.
More Information Contact

Additional information may be obtained in person by visiting or through the mail by writing to any local DES-FAA office (located in the blue pages of the phone book under Department of Economic Security – Family Assistance); by phone at (602) 542-9935 or toll-free statewide at 1-800-352-8401.

To locate the Family Assistance Administration (FAA) office closest to your residence: Office Locations.

To view your health plan, link to your health plan's site, check your MA eligibility status, verify your address, view your annual enrollment date, and other MA related information:


An appeal may be requested for any eligibility determination including when an application is denied or not acted upon in a timely manner or when benefits are stopped.

The request for an appeal should be made within 30 days of receipt of the determination notice.  Appeals may be requested verbally or in writing.

To request a fair hearing:

  • Complete the Fair Hearing Request Form (30 KB PDF).  The forms are also available at the local DES offices.
  • The statement requesting a fair hearing should include the person’s name, address, the date of the notice they disagree with, and the reason why they disagree with the decision in the notice.
  • The Fair Hearing Request Form or written statement requesting a fair hearing may be submitted in person, by mail, or by fax to the local DES-FAA office.
Talk to crazyquilt

Aetna Medicare Choices For Low Income

You may be able to get extra help from the government for your Aetna Medicare Advantage plan with prescription drug coverage or for your Aetna Medicare prescription drug plan.

You may be eligible for help paying for some or all of your prescription drug costs, based on guidelines set by the federal government. You can apply for this help through the Social Security Administration or a state Medical Assistance Office. The amount of assistance you receive, if any, will depend on your income and resources, and is determined by the federal government.

If you think you could qualify for help, call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY/TDD 1-800-325-0778), between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, or visit The Social Security Administration’s application process provides the quickest decision. (You can also go to a local Social Security Administration or Medicaid office and apply.)

For the Medicare program's policy on evidence of eligibility for low income subsidy, visit the CMS website's Best Available Evidence page.

If you know you qualify for or are already receiving help to pay for your Medicare prescription drug plan, learn how much you will pay for your monthly premium as a member of an Aetna Medicare plan.

View the 2010 premium subsidy tables for those who qualify for extra help:

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Fredericksburg, Virginia Lloyd F. Moss Free Clinic Services

The Moss Free Clinic provides the following services free of charge:

Click Here For Website

  • Primary, non-emergency, medical care for health problems such as a sore throat
    • Tuesday and Thursday evening clinics
    • Referral to medical specialists when appropriate
    • Basic diagnostic testing, including radiology and laboratory services in cooperation with MediCorp Health System
  • Specialty medical care
    • Clinic for Patients with Chronic Diseases
    • Gynecology Clinic
    • Referral to medical specialists when appropriate
  • Mental Health
    • Counseling
    • Depression management and diabetic control assessment
    • Referrals
  • Dental care
    • Tuesday and Thursday evening clinics
    • Fillings, Extractions, and Dental Hygiene only
  • Prescription medications (no narcotics or controlled substances)
    • On-site licensed pharmacy
  • Health education and promotion
    • Nutrition counseling
    • Lifestyle management classes
    • Health information and referral

Schedule of Services

All services are by appointment.

Primary Care Clinic - Tuesday and Thursday evenings
Dental Clinic - Tuesday and Thursday evenings
Chronic Care Clinic - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
Gynecology Clinic - 1st and 3rd Wednesdays
Orthopedic & Surgical Clinics – varies

Dental Services

All dental services are by appointment.

Our volunteer professionals provide general cleanings, oral exams, oral cancer screenings, tartar removal and polishing, nutritional counseling, dental sealants, deep cleanings/non-surgical periodontal therapy, full-mouth x-rays, bite wing x-rays, composite resins, extractions, various triage, and in some cases oral surgery, and referral root canals.

Our Dental Clinic is staffed and operated by one Dental Coordinator and several volunteer professionals and students from local colleges. This year the Dental Clinic has already served 335 unduplicated patients, and provided 687 appointments (as of November 2008) .


To our valued patients,

We know that you are eager to receive your test results and other confidential information without playing phone tag with our office or waiting for our phone call.

To better serve you, we are now using a password-protected physician-to-patient message service that allows you to dial a toll-free number from wherever you are to hear a detailed message left personally for you by our office as soon as the information is available.

When you leave our office, you will be given a card with instructions on how to access the message. The message will be available to you for 30 days. You may wish to listen to it as often as you wish, and allow family to hear it also if you choose.

We hope our improved method of communication reduces the anxiety of waiting for test results or other information.

To get your results:

  • Call the toll-free number on the card (1-888-888-3803)
  • Enter our doctor ID # (85751)
  • Enter your Patient ID # (your social security number)

Please wait at least 7-10 days after having your test done to access your results. If you have any questions about the message we leave you, please call us at (540) 741-1061.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Vancouver, Washington Free Clinic of SW Washington

Free Clinic of SW Washington
4100 Plomondon Street
Vancouver, WA 98661

Phone: 360.313.1390
Fax: 360.313.1391


General Information

The Free Clinic of SW Washington serves people with low income, and who do
not have health insurance or state medical assistance. The Clinic relies on
volunteer doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals to meet the
urgent care needs of patients.

Our mission is to provide and facilitate access to free, compassionate, quality health care
for children and adults who are otherwise unable to access such services.

Hours of Operation

Basic Health Clinics:
Mondays & Wednesdays 9:30 AM – Noon (sign-in begins at 8:30 AM)
Tuesdays &Thursdays: 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM (sign-in a little before 6:00 PM)

Immunization Clinics:
First, Second and Third Wednesdays: 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM
Instructions: Sign-in begins at 5 PM; must bring the child’s immunization records.

Health Screening Clinics:
(cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar) Fridays: 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM
Instructions: For blood sugar and/or cholesterol, fasting for at least 8
hours prior to testing is required.

Health Access Information & Prescription Assistance Information:
Monday through Friday: 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM

Vision Clinic:
Please call clinics for appointment information.
Free vision exams for glasses.

Free Clinic Dental Express: Mobile Dental Clinic:
Serving children 21 and younger and families, for basic urgent dental needs,
twice a month. Please call for more information.

Languages Spoken


Services & Programs

Services include very basic medical care

This includes: coughs, colds, ear pain/infection, sore throats, body aches and pains, urinary
problems, skin infections/rashes, upset stomach, and flu symptoms. People
with more serious medical problems will be referred to other providers,
including the emergency room, urgent care, and private doctors.

Other services provided include: children’s immunizations, health
screenings, limited dental, health access information and prescription
assistance, vision and eye care, and nutrition information.

Services NOT available at this time include: STD testing, family planning, or mental health.
Visit the Human Services Council website at for a directory
of health and human services resources in the Clark County, Washington area.

All people receiving care at the Clinic will be treated with respect. No
patient information will be released without the patient’s consent.

Costs and Financial Assistance

Our services are free, however, the Clinic runs on a donation basis.
Suggested donation is $5-20, but no one will be refused care if they are
unable to donate.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Wisconsin Consumer Guide to Health Care

Finding and Choosing Health Care Providers in Wisconsin

How to find and choose doctors, dentists, hospitals, nursing homes, and other types of health care providers.

Paying for Health Care in Wisconsin

How to choose among your insurance options, state and federal insurance programs, and options if you are on Medicare, running a small business, buying insurance on your own or losing your insurance.

Dealing with Special Health Care Situations

Finding free or reduced-fee health care; dealing with problems with a provider, your insurance, or medical debt; coping with a disability or chronic illness; and finding information for caregivers.

Becoming an Informed Health Care Consumer

Finding the safest and highest quality health care, treatment options, information on health care charges, how to find reliable help on the Web, and other government and private sources of help and information.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends